Friday, June 16, 2006

In the beginning there was shopping

First off, I want to send a shout out to Sarah for giving me the BRILLIANT idea of creating a blog. Sarah, I can't wait for you to come and help me ship home some of my clothes! HOLLA!

This week was ... well expensive. I know that there are a million things to do in this city that don't cost any money, but shopping is not one of them! And if you know me at all, you know that my most dangerous addiction, other than a little vicodin, is shopping. I came to NY at the right time --- SALE SEASON!!! Just walking down the street is another sale, and another place to use my credit card. But I have been making some fab purchases. Carrie Bradshaw would be proud. Sample sales are great! I didn't realize how cool they were. And there are some AMAZING consignment shops on the upper east side. Right by my work.

Work was really good this week too. A couple of hairy days, but I have survived, and I think that I am going to like it at this office. Apparently, a lot of interns get head-hunted from this firm (and not by Pygmies!), so keep your fingers crossed.

The dorm is, well ... ghetto. Like I am talking, GHETTO!!!! And the sad thing is thing is, all the American students think this place is really nice! And we are talking people that go to private schools that cost $30k a year! What is this government doing to their students! I will never complain about my Canadian education again!

I have been spending a lot of time alone. I think everyone knows how much I value my alone time, and just walking through the Park (yes Central Park) gives me a little peace of mind. It was Museum Mile Festival the other day, so all the museums on Museum Mile were free. I walked to the Guggenheim from work (about 35 blks) and then through the Park, over to the West Side, and then ALL THE WAY HOME!! I walked about 125 blks that evening, and by about the last half block I thought I was going to die. Paul, I know we walked a lot this summer, but nothing prepared me for this.

The area we are in is incredible. So much going on. I saw the Spiderman 3 set shooting the other day. That was pretty nifty. They asked me to take a part in it, but I graciously declined, and just sat 1 block away and tried to take some pics. Still very cool.

No celeb sitings yet. I am checking out gawker.com/stalker regularly though, so hopefully something will come up.

Well enough of my crap. Sorry this was so long, just loving the idea of this blog, again, thanks Sarah. Go Oilers! I can't imagine what Whyte will be like if we win tomorrow. INSANE!! Hopefully there isn't a freaking baseball game, so that way I can watch it somewhere cheap!

My new motto, if you can't have ice on a pond at anytime during the year, you shouldn't have a hockey team. I think I have pissed off a few people with that.

Peace out!

i

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Iris! Thanks for giving me a little credit for the blogging idea, but, let's face it.. the blog wouldn't be the same without you! So, I guess you should have some of the credit, too.

Maybe as a 'thank you' you could link to my new blog: Sarah, Living Vicariously Through Iris in New York, and its spin-off blog Sarah Visiting Iris in New York.

Speaking of which, I can't wait to come. I have a big, empty suitcase just waiting to bring home all of the clothes you are abandoing in favour of new purchases!

Anonymous said...

Great site lots of usefull infomation here.
»

Anonymous said...

Here are some links that I believe will be interested

Anonymous said...

Great site loved it alot, will come back and visit again.
»

Anonymous said...

Your are Excellent. And so is your site! Keep up the good work. Bookmarked.
»

Corey Fischer said...

5 years post-post comment: Amazing how you can easily see the difference in writing and the growth that you have gone through.  Congrats from the future! (what if this message was transported back in time to when you first posted... Who is Corey Fischer??)

Iris Dias said...

I think that is the most interesting part - this thing really has been my diary. Reading the first many posts, they're really not good.