Thursday, August 12, 2010

Twas a good day

I love my job. You are all aware of that. But there are things about my job that scare the shit out of me.

Media relations is one of them.

You see, early on in my career, I had some ... failures in the media relations department. First there was the New York Times reporter that yelled and cursed at me.

Then there was a whole situation with a not-for-profit I was working with a couple of years ago and not being able to get them any media coverage - despite them being totally worthwhile.

So, since then I have removed myself from any media relations activities and focused on things I am much better at, social media being one of them.

Well today was a super duper great day.

Yesterday I pitched a story to some traditional and online publications. None of the traditionals wanted it, but a couple of the online pubs ran the story.

I got an email from the client today that REUTERS - yes, you read that right, Reuters - picked up the story from one of the online publications.

There are some days you feel like you're not the worst. Today is one of those days. This definitely helps push all of the doubt aside.

No comments: