Monday, December 17, 2012

New Year, New Everything

For the past five years, I have had a tumultuous relationship with Vancouver. Despite its intrinsic beauty, I haven't always been happy here. Then the past year happened and, well, happiness was all this city gave me.

Huge doses of happiness.

I have fallen in love with a boy and the city and it is with so many emotions that I announce my departure from Vancouver.

Come the new year I will be leaving Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada AND North America.

In January I become a resident of Dubai, United Arab Emirates.

My new role is an exciting one: working for Emirates Airlines in the company's public relations department.

I'm actually moving to a city and country I've never been to before. I'm still in disbelief.

English: This is a photo showing airplanes fro...
 (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
If you've been reading this blog for a while, you may remember a post from almost five years ago outlining my bucket list. Living in Dubai has been on my bucket list for long before that post was written. Last year, while floundering about, I was on the verge of giving up public relations and applying to be a flight attendant with Emirates, so it blows my mind that my dream of working in Dubai and my longtime goal of cheap flights might come hand-in-hand with some great resume-building opportunities.

As excited as I am, it breaks my heart to leave the person who has made me feel more love than I knew was possible.

The timing couldn't have been more unexpected. I've applied for this job several times before and the night I got the email for the first interview, I told Sarin: "For the first time since moving here, I'd be  sad if something made me leave Vancouver."

Just five short hours later the universe responded by saying "bitch, you ain't in charge".

But when presented with something like this, you say yes. You just say yes.

There will be many more posts between now and the day I leave outlining every emotion I am going through. I honestly had no idea I could feel this many emotions at one time.

SO. MANY. EMOTIONS.

Enhanced by Zemanta

5 comments:

Talkfoolery said...

But what about your hilarious podcast "Talkfoolery" with Corey Fischer?

Iris Dias said...

The hilarity will continue, we're just taking it international!

nikki4957 said...

YAY! So happy for you and love that you still have this blog! When you were living in NYC I lived vicariously through you and now for Dubai I will do the same! So proud and envious!! xo
Nikki

Erin said...

So totally totally proud of you. 

Iris Dias said...

Thanks lady!