Thursday, September 08, 2011

Vacation Highlight: Jewish Museum

I cannot lie, I didn't do a lot of cultural things this vacation. I did a lot of strolling, a lot of socializing, and a lot of other things, but museums weren't my priority - the only one I really wanted to see in Berlin was the Jewish Museum, and it didn't disappoint.

We all know of the atrocities Jews suffered during the Holocaust, and the Museum did a fantastic job of helping us understand - showcasing a variety of personal items from individuals who may or may not have survived the Holocaust. It walked me through the progression of Germany from a country of tolerance to one fueled by hatred.

I shed several tears during my tour of the museum. How could you not?

This was easily the best us of space to evoke an emotional response I have ever experienced. Filled with empty spaces and uneven flooring, the building itself aims to teach you how it must have felt for millions of people during WWII.

If you are lucky enough to visit Berlin, make sure you stop by the Jewish Museum. I promise, you won't be disappointed.

No comments: