I know I've talked about Smelly before, but I don't think I've ever told you about him.
- His name isn't really Smelly.
- We met in 1996. Yes, you read that right. 1996. It's mind blowing right? Soon, we will have known each other for more than half of our lives. What?!
- He was actually my grad date, although we went out separate ways after the dance - in fact, I don't think we even danced together.
- We have never shared anything more than platonic exchanges. Although he gave me a gas pedal two weeks before grad, and that wasn't very friendly. Jerk.
- When I came home from New York, he drove my car to Calgary to fetch me and drive home with me.
- After high school, we almost stopped being friends because his girlfriend didn't like me.
- I've asked him to leave before.
- He got me a boyfriend once. The guy wasn't a good boyfriend, but Smelly made that one happen.
- He is a total guy, without being a total guy about it. I mean, he loves all things boys should like - hockey, camping, etc - but he isn't a macho douche.
- He once told me I looked like a lesbian.
- He is possibly the best dood anyone could ask for.
That last one isn't even an exaggeration - Smelly has stuck by me for 14 years. It hasn't mattered what I say to him or tell him, he says his piece and then moves on. He's pretty awesome like that.
Smelly (left) and I at my 25th birthday.
We are doing our 3rd Annual Dood's Weekend in style. Thur - Sun will be spent over a table and Catan, I'm sure, Monday we are going to Miike Snow and Tuesday we are going to The xx (yes, I'm giving them one last chance).
It's going to be all kinds of awesome.